Saturday, January 28, 2012

Stained Glass Experience

Stained glass has always been on my bucket list of things to learn.  At my age I figure if I don't start now, I may not get them done!  I started out by buying Ben, who also has always wanted to learn, classes for our 25th Anniversary.  Six months later I decided to let him show me how to cut class.  I actually had had a few experiences cutting classes and soldering when I made jewelry a few years ago.  Now as anyone knows before starting a project with your husband, ground rules must be established.  You see Ben approaches everything from the technical viewpoint, and I from the artistic, not always a good combination, especially when we both tend to be very passionate in our approaches.

Ground Rules
1. No yelling.
2. People have their own way of doing things.
3. And Ben's way is not the only way.  LOL

I found cutting glass frustrating at times but loved foiling and soldering. Ben was very patient as he saw feet of glass being ruined by not cutting correctly and surprisingly except for the slight glistening of tears he managed to say it's okay and for me to keep trying.  I am already thinking about what I can do next so I guess that is a good sign!  As far as the ground rules, Ben did very well, except he did grab the soldering iron a few times to show me a better way....<while I am thinking he is very brave taking a 700 degree object out of my hand to show me a better way.>  I think we approach soldering a totally different way, LOL.  I got the "your painting, painting, painting" remark about 3 times.  All in all our bonding over stained glass went pretty well.  I am fortunate to have my best friend as my husband even though I know I make his jaw twitch at times.

1 comment:

  1. I want to see a picture of how your stained glass Masterpiece is going.

    ReplyDelete