Sunday, January 29, 2012

Hidden Treasures

Well anyone that knows me, knows I like finding a diamond in the rough.  Something about objects that people have discarded fascinates me, especially when they just didn't take the time to take care of the item.  I have been having a pretty rough week and decided to stop by Goodwill while waiting to meet my son.  Pushed back on a shelf I found a very tarnished sterling silver sugar bowl and creamer set by Sheffield Silver Co., 2 sterling silver bowls by Reed & Barton, and four silver spoons all bound together by packaging tape for 9.95.  The pieces were so black that I could not read the inscriptions on the bottom but for 9.95 took the chance the were what I thought they were.  So with a little elbow grease I cleaned and polished them to discover their beauty.  If only Bobbie Plott could have witnessed by labor.  I remember working for her as a teenager at her Gift Shoppe.  She swore to my mother I quit because I had to polish silver!   (LOL, no I got a better paying job and had spent years polishing for my mother....I actually had it down to an art.) Ben did some quick online searches for me and apparently I made my money back with one spoon so I am happy. I also discovered an old antique frame with lots of gilding.  So with less then 20 dollars spent I ended my exasperating week with my little treasure.  Not sure what I will do with the silver, keep it or sell it to someone that will give it a loving home.

No comments:

Post a Comment